I feel like Spring is so excellent at reminding me that all my formerly covered up limbs need some serious care and vitamin D! Layering on extra moisturizer, drinking ample amounts of water and giving myself a good exfoliating scrub helps to bring my skin out of hibernation.
I have a few scrubs that I like to use, but in the spirit of spring, I thought a fresh, lemony scrub would do the trick. And, best of all, homemade scrubs have about a million options and are unbelievably easy to concoct.
This recipe is loosely adapted from Wellness Mama’s recipe here and I absolutely loved it. I think it was much more effective than the typical scrubs I’ve bought or ordered online before. When I used it on my hands, definitely the driest trouble spot throughout winter, they were so dry that it almost felt too abrasive (stay true to the gentle tip below!). But after rinsing, I was so surprised. My hands felt heavenly—buttery, lemon, sugary goodness.
Lemon Sugar Scrub Ingredients
• 1 cup granulated sugar, either white or brown, shoot for organic
• ½ cup oil (I’ve tried both olive oil and coconut oil)
• 2 spoonfuls of honey
• 15-20 drops of lemon essential oil
• 1 sealing mason jar or Tupperware (for storage)
1. Mix honey and sugar together, then work in olive oil and lemon essential oil drops.
2. Apply generously to dry, sensitive skin using circular motions. Be gentle and leave on for up to five minutes.
3. Rinse skin with water, pat dry, and apply a moisturizer (I love Lubriderm Advanced Care). Massage scrub into your hands to gently buff away dry or rough spots.